Structural Engineer FAQ’s

How do I know if I need a Structural Surveyor?

If you have cracks appearing on your walls (internal or externally), or you suspect subsidence, it is always good practice to seek the advice of a professional structural engineer.
Your property could be at risk if you don’t take action.

What does a structural engineer or surveyor do?

A structural engineer/surveyor will carry out an investigation to determine the true cause of any structural concerns you may have, this may include, using equipment such as the Bosch Wallscanner D-Text 200c Professional. This device uses radar technology to analyse beams and assists with determining if a wall is load-bearing or not. Once they have completed their inspection of the property, the structural engineer will compile a report detailing his findings along with recommendations as to how to remedy any issues found.

Are structural engineers and surveyors qualified professionals?

Our structural engineers hold a BSc Honours and PhD in Structural Engineering. This provides confidence to our clients that the engineer attending your property has undertaken the highest level of professional education and training.

Will the Structural Engineer carry out the repair work?

No, the structural engineer will carry out a detailed inspection and compile a survey report, which can then be handed to a competent contractor or builder to obtain a quote for the work to be carried out.

Will the structural survey include a guide price for the remedial works to be carried out?

Our structural surveyor can, if requested, provide a guide price for the works needed to be carried out. The prices offered are just a guide and will vary depending on the area and reputation of the builder you choose to carry out the work.

Do you recommend a builder to carry out the work following a structural survey?

Because we are completely independent, we do not recommend contractors or repairers. We do recommend you use a reputable builder or contractor and someone who has proven client testimonials. Checkatrade can be a good starting point.

When will I need to pay for the survey?

The survey will need to be paid for on the day of completion of the survey

When will I receive the structural survey report?

The structural survey report will be sent via email as a PDF within 3 – 5 days of the survey being carried out.

Will the structural survey satisfy the needs of my lender?

Yes, our structural surveyors are BSc and PhD qualified Structural Engineers.

Are you RICS accredited?

No, we used to be a “member” of RICS but found on occasions their survey templates restricted us from providing the comprehensive detail we put into our independent reports.

Do you carry out Level 3 Surveys?

A level 3 survey is the term used by RICS to define a general property survey, which is a general building condition survey. However, as we have discovered, it does not include a full structural inspection and often the surveyor will recommend a structural survey is undertaken if they discover cracks or evidence of subsidence.

I have a large crack where the two walls of my extension and my house meet, should I be concerned about this?

There are many reasons why a crack may appear in the joint between an extension and the main property. One reason may be due to poor workmanship or the lack of suitable wall ties, or it could be due to poor foundations being laid at the time of construction. Other reasons can be quite broad and too many to list, for example, it could be due to thermal expansion, tree roots, drainage issues etc.

I have cracks above my window(s), what could be the cause of this?

If you have cracks above your windows it could be due to failed lintels, or it could be due to the replacement of windows that were once supporting the load above. Other reasons could be due to subsidence. A thorough inspection by a structural engineer will determine the cause and provide recommendations for remedial action.