Do I Need a structural surveyor in London?

Alpine Surveys Building Surveyors

Thinking of purchasing a property in London?

You’ll most likely want to have the structural integrity of the building surveyed by a qualified building surveyor.

A structural building surveyor provides a detailed report highlighting important areas of concern which should be considered before exchanging contracts.

Typical checks during a structural building survey will include

  • Any defects
  • Condition of the property structure
  • Whether or not the building is of good standing
  • If the structure of the building is safe
  • Checking to see if the building requires any major building work.

Choosing not to have a structural building survey carried out by an independent structural surveyor in London, could result in expensive repairs being required.

This could potentially leave the home owners heartbroken.

We aim to uncover some facts about structural surveyors and building surveys below.

Given the undeniable fact that properties in London are an expensive investment, it’s crucial that you should invest wisely in a structural survey when purchasing a property.


What Is A Structural Survey?
A qualified Structural surveyor should always carry out independent structural surveys.

Our structural surveyors are conveniently based in London but also cover a wider area outside of London.

The purpose of a structural survey is to only inspect, survey and assess the strength, durability and integrity of the building.

This is to ensure your investment isn’t about to come tumbling down in a few years due to defects or dilapidation.

A structural survey also provides peace of mind, along with a comprehensive report determining how safe the building is.

So What is a Building Survey?
If you’re in the market to buying a property, a building survey may be an appropriate option for you.

Most building surveyors can complete a property building survey in the  London area usually in one day.

However for larger homes, Stately homes, unusual buildings, commercial buildings, the building survey may extend over a period days.

Building surveys will assess the condition of a property.

A structural survey will cover the integrity and strength of a building.

The survey is carried out to specific standards, as set by the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors.

There are 3 types of RICS home surveys

Level 1 RICS Building Survey

The level one survey is designed for clients (buyers, vendors and owners) seeking a professional report on the condition of the property.

The report provides a cost effective alternative to a full building survey.

It includes a visual inspection that is less extensive than survey level two and survey level three.

No tests of the building fabric or services are undertaken

Level 2 RICS Building Survey

The level two survey, is designed for clients, buyers, vendors and owners, seeking a professional report on the condition of the main elements of the property.

It will not contain any detailed advice on repairs.

This intermediate level of service includes a more extensive visual inspection of the building, its services, and grounds.

This level of service suits a broader range of conventionally built properties, although the age and type will depend on the knowledge and experience of the RICS member

Level 3 RICS Building Survey

A level three survey is more thorough and detailed than the others.

It will address matters such as the materials used for each part of the building, defects and remedial options.

It will also address issues related to the future maintenance of the property.

Concealed areas normally opened, or used by the occupiers are inspected if it is safe to do so.

Although services are not tested, they are observed in normal operation.

This level of service is for clients who are seeking a professional opinion based on a detailed assessment of the property

Which Property Survey Do I Need?

  • Structural survey
  • Homebuyers survey
  • Building survey
  • Full house survey
  • Snagging survey

The above information explains what each property survey is for,.

For example, you may want just a structural survey to check the integrity and strength of the building.

On the other hand, if you’re buying a new build property, a snagging survey, or homebuyers building survey, may be more appropriate.

These tend to survey the condition of the property as opposed to the structural elements of the property.

A full structural survey will cover the entire structure of the building.

Whereas a full building survey will cover the condition of the entire building.

Either way, both surveys are very much different and often will require two different surveyors.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *